voice control interface to infrastructure¶
- home UIs - NEST-like
- Follow-Me architecture - voice control follows you around the home.
futuristic media display system¶
- display on glass w/
- static opaqueness
- variable opaqueness
- Heads up
- Motion capture
- thermostat and vent
- Flair Smart Vent and references to other products in this space
- DIY Zoning Dampers
- Econet Z-Wave controller air vent
- Home Climate Controlled - a Linux-based project that's a little old
- Temperature controlled air register
- SDP-SI - online store for gears, etc. that connect to small motors.
- Simple thermostat control is an example of how the server would control power to the heater/AC.
- ServoCity has arms and horns that connect to motor shafts, allowing connection to a physical device.
- Motor control tutorials
- How-To: Motors @ Instructables
- Control a DC Motor with an Arduino @ All About Circuits
- DC Motors @ Adafruit
- Stepper Motors @ Adafruit
- Stepper Motor Quickstart Guide
- Animatronic Tail - shows use of ATTiny85 (aka Adafruit Trinket) with servo and AAA batteries. Might be perfect for proof of concept, if I can attach ESP8266.
- Stepper Motors
- BYJ48 Stepper Motor @ Instructables
- $1 motor driver circuit
- Wifi Controlled Motors using ESP8266 and ATtiny85 - effectively exactly what we're trying to do with the proof of concept.
controlled access: doors, windows, garage¶
controllable power: outlets, lights¶
- what do you need (toilet paper, eggs)
- location: humans, pets, visitors
- DLNA - Digital Living Network Alliance
- DLNA Open Source Projects @ Wikipedia
home data center¶
- See "Media Devices":#MediaDevices and DLNA
Concept of a module unit so each new application doesn't need a new device.
- esp8266 for IoT
- CHiP / RPi Zero for subnodes
- RPi 2 Model B quad-core for master nodes
- No Intel - Only ARM or related
- Want a reusable minimal component
Server node¶Essentially a Raspberry Pi 2 (quad core) with a touch screen display.
- Adafruit tablet is perfect for this.
- server box - master @ home, could have multiple, distributed in a single home
- subnode - manages a collection of devices, reports to master
- nodes - IoT, media servers - any "thing" that is an endpoint
- Margins: 80-100% initially, %30 sustained
- Cost: $80 per outlet would not be reasonable
- wired network (wireline electrical)?
- wifi problems?
- g - interference
- n - faster, still interference?
- ac - best? not in esp8266?
- could we use non-wifi comm?
- Comm security
- power IoT - must last a long time
- power harvesting
- minimal power for comm - save most for control of device
- Mechanical experience
- Data band vs Control band
- wifi for data
- bluetooth or other RF for control
- No cloud - network comm is private, not to 3rd party
- Add on: we manage a server
What is the MVP?¶
- Proof of Concept: defined by Feb 20th
- 1st product: definition by end of April
- Danny - Jasper project working code - integrate with Jarvis?
- Mike - PiBox, builds and infrastructure, UI maybe
How do we divvy the work?¶
- Electrical: Danny, Mike
- Software: Mike, Danny
What's already out there?¶
- what niches are not being filled?
- what niches are we competing against?
Things to look at?¶
- Wink - home automation/IoT company
- Blynk - home automation mobile dev tool
- Some tips for building IoT devices from Sparkfun.